more free stuff on Listia

Thursday, May 06, 2010

Gumbo my way

I made a powerfully good gumbo this week. I read a couple of recipes & then winged it. Here's an approximation:

Saute together:
1/2 pound hot sausage cut in bite sized pieces (I used Italian)
1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast in bite sized pieces.
Remove from pan & add:
2T flour
cook stirring until flour browns & then add:
4 minced cloves garlic
1.5c chopped onion
1c chopped celery
1 chopped red bell pepper
Chopped hot pepper to taste (I used 2 jalapenos)
2 pound can diced tomatoes & a canful of water
1t salt
1t pepper
1T Worchestershire sauce
1/4c minced fresh parsley
3/4c sliced okra
The cooked sausage & chicken
Simmer for 1-2 hours & then add:
1/2 pound shrimp
2c cooked brown rice.
cook until shrimp are done (5-10 min)

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Retired from Verizon in 2002. Moved from Delaware to Pennsylvania Wilds in 2003. Sorry about the comment word verification-I was getting too many blog commentspams.