more free stuff on Listia

Saturday, July 28, 2007

cabin pics by request

Deirdre requested more description of our cabin construction. Here's a couple of pictures from last winter. A short history of the project. When I met Charlie 26 years ago, he was finishing the inside of a 12' X 16' cabin-1 story with low attic. (The section with the peaked roof on the right of the unfinished portion) He was only able to work on it 1-2 weekends/month & with a 5 hour ride to get there, that really means only working Saturday & there was no electricity.
The next section to be built was a 12'X12' shed on the right side of the original cabin. After that, the electric Company decided to wire our mountain & we got electricity.
Next project was a large 8'x8' outhouse. (We do not have running water.) It's not visible in the pictures
He decided that he wanted to add a large lodge 24'x32' with a barn roof & a second floor 20'X 32' because of the roof angles. He wanted it 12' from the original cabin. I persuaded him to hire a local contractor to dig a foundation & lay blocks instead of pickaxing & building footers which would have taken much backbreaking work. We built that section & a deck between the 2 buildings.
Now we're working on the "tower" connecting the 2 buildings. It will be 2 stories with a deck on top for hunting, sunbathing (not me) & relaxing.
I'm proud to say that Charlie & I have done most of the labor ourselves with technical assistance & help from his brother & occasionally a few friends. The only other thing that he has contracted out is the roofs. He hates doing roofing.
I keep 4 sewing machines & an 8' long map table for cutting etc in the lodge so I can entertain myself when not involved in construction.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This house reminds me so much of the place my ex and I had in VT. Started out as a Sugar house (12x18) with a climb up loft - only an air mattress would fit through the opening. Then he and his restaurant friends build 3 more additions. For the first 3 years we didn't have water or plumbing - the guys were total bastards for the first winter - bearly getting out of the doorway to pee, and laughing at how much harder it was for girls!

We did have electricity and there were many springs around where you could just go and get fresh water. We also had a COLD river behind the house - I took sponge baths (warmed by the stove) the MEN jumped in the river.

The 2nd year I was driving around and found a camp ground around 2 miles away. For 25 cents you could have a hot shower and use the bathrooms. I don't know what I was thinking but I just forgot to tell the MEN! I never mentioned it for the next 2 years until the well went in [g]. Funny how you can forget stuff like that!

:-D eirdre

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Retired from Verizon in 2002. Moved from Delaware to Pennsylvania Wilds in 2003. Sorry about the comment word verification-I was getting too many blog commentspams.