more free stuff on Listia

Thursday, October 13, 2005

A scare in the kitchen

My less than 2 year old Jenn Air electric cooktop blew up tonight. A couple of days ago, I noticed that the light that tells you that a burner is on was lit with both burners & the grill off. I didn't think too much about it. Tonight, the back burner wouldn't get hot, so I turned it off, pulled the burner & plugged it back in. I tried to turn it on again & KERPOW- loud bang & green flames came out around the control knobs!!! Not remembering what to do for an electrical fire (except not water), I blew them out. It was probably just insulation burning. Stinks!!! Of course Charlie accused me of spraying cleaner in the works when I removed the knobs for cleaning. I know better than that! I spray the sponge & squeeze it almost dry. I called Sears. The parts are still under warrantee, but not labor. The first date that I could get for the guy to come out & look at it is 10-21. Tonight we ate oven fried chicken & nuked veggies. Tomorrow, I'll get out the old electric wok, crock pot & electric frying pan...Or maybe we'll just eat subs for a week.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
Retired from Verizon in 2002. Moved from Delaware to Pennsylvania Wilds in 2003. Sorry about the comment word verification-I was getting too many blog commentspams.