more free stuff on Listia

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Bald eagle part 2

After layering my water fabrics, I stitched wavy lines to stabilize the background. I wanted this stitching to be very subtle, so I used very light gray nymo size 000 & a size 10 needle in the machine. It worked. The needle holes are more obvious than the thread & the holes should relax & close somewhat when I wash the final piece to remove the starch. I was very pleased that the machine handled the fine thread so well. Size 000 is about as thick as one of my hairs. I did discover that the bobbin should not be filled all the way, as the thread wanted to slide off sideways, but as soon as I removed about 1/8" from the bobbin, it behaved beautifully. I've got a 3 ounce cone of this thread & it's at least 3/4 full. I think that I'll be using it in the bobbin for free motion embroidery to cut down on bulk.
Next step was to spray glue my paper & stick it to some batting for a trapunto effect.

I trimmed the batting to reduce bulk & glued it to the back of my backing. I added a few pins to the edges for added security.

I then pinned a large hunk of one of my eagle colors to the front of the background, making sure that it covered all of the area that I wanted in that fabric.
Flipping back over to the back, I free motioned around the areas that I wanted to do in this fabric, using a short stitch to make sure that the paper would be perforated enough to come off easily later.
Back to the front, I trimmed the applique fabric close to the stitches. It's not necessary to trim real close in the areas that will be covered by other appliques. I repeated these steps with my second gray fabric.
On the back again, I sewed in the detail lines between feathers

Front view with the detail lines sewn. More to come.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
Retired from Verizon in 2002. Moved from Delaware to Pennsylvania Wilds in 2003. Sorry about the comment word verification-I was getting too many blog commentspams.