more free stuff on Listia

Sunday, January 08, 2006

When is a leftover not a leftover?

When it's a precooked convenience food. Let me explain. When you have extra food from a previous meal & you pull it out of the fridge & eat it cold, or reheat as is, thats a leftover. Many foods are great as leftovers. Roasted chicken, stews, chili & macaroni & cheese are all at least as good as the first time.

If you take that leftover food & make it into a new recipe, then it's precooked convenience food. An example-last night I made a stir fry with scallops-I used 1 slice of pork bacon & 2 slices of turkey bacon chopped, 1 sweet onion, 3/4lb scallops, 2 cloves of garlic & a little white wine. I served it over brown Texmati rice. It was great, but much more than 2 people could eat. Tonight, I blended 1T olive oil with 1T flour, stirred in 1 pint of fat free 1/2 & 1/2 & brought to a boil to thicken. I then dumped in the leftover rice & scallops & we had a great soup. I could have made the soup from scratch, but it was very fast & easy because I had that precooked convenience food.

Another metamorphasis that we have done several times starts with a hot cheesy crab fondue. The second night, we thin it a little with milk or ff 1/2 & 1/2 & serve it over spaghetti as a white crab sauce. The third night, I thin it a little more & it's crab bisque.

1 comment:

Trina said...

If you feel like sharing that crab recipe, I'd love to have it for when Chris isn't home!

Followers

About Me

My photo
Retired from Verizon in 2002. Moved from Delaware to Pennsylvania Wilds in 2003. Sorry about the comment word verification-I was getting too many blog commentspams.