more free stuff on Listia

Friday, November 30, 2012

How an insulin pump is like a toaster

This week, I got an insulin pump. So far, I love it. I couldn't understand why Charlie wasn't happy about it, so I asked him & he said that he didn't like to think that my diabetes was getting worse. I explained that it was more a case of using a high tech tool to do the same things that I had been doing, but easier & more accurate. I was doing 4 shots/day-long acting insulin in the AM & premeal shots. With the pump, I inject once per 2-3 days, it trickles insulin 24/7 & before I eat or if my glucose goes high, I tell the pump my readings & how many grams of carbs I plan to eat. The pump figures how much more insulin to give me & I'm done.

Now, how is an insulin pump like a toaster? I told Charlie that you can toast bread under the broiler or on a stick over a fire, but it takes a lot of attention & is hard to get just right. If you have a toaster, you just set the dial & the bread comes out the same way every time without constant monitoring. More accurate results with less work.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
Retired from Verizon in 2002. Moved from Delaware to Pennsylvania Wilds in 2003. Sorry about the comment word verification-I was getting too many blog commentspams.