more free stuff on Listia

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Quilting, feltmaking & dying

I've been busy quilting, making felt & dying. I've been working on my snake quilt since June. First, I paper pieced the snake:


Next, I appliqued him to the back of my background, & appliqued the tree trunks. I love that birch bark print. I used batting behind the tree trunks & snake to raise them above the background.


I layered the top with more batting (thinner) & a backing & I free motion quilted around every fern to sink the background & make the snake & trees stand out more. The free motion quilting took forever! I then cut the background fabric from in front of the snake. I'm getting close to finishing. I need to satin stitch around the snake, give him a face & handstitch the binding & sleeve to the back.

Feltmaking- Just a little-Petey gave me the idea. He was making felt (AKA mats) in his armpits. After I brush him, I always say "I've got enough fur to make another cat." Sooooo... I took some brushed out fur & rubbed it between my hands. It felted very fast. So far I've made ears. I'm not sure if I'll make a whole cat or not.

Now dying-stop reading here if you're squeamish. When we went to Seneca Lake, we were able to buy green glo-worms. I did a little net research & discovered that I could buy the worn food/dye. Fish really love these green worms.

1 comment:

Jaye said...

Love both snakes, though I wouldn't want to meet the second one in a dark alley. ;-) What do you use for paper piecing?

Followers

About Me

My photo
Retired from Verizon in 2002. Moved from Delaware to Pennsylvania Wilds in 2003. Sorry about the comment word verification-I was getting too many blog commentspams.